Saturday, November 20, 2010

People of Light

Victoria, BC  July 2010
This morning my friend Rebecca sent me a verse, as she does every morning at 7:00.  For some  reason todays selection has stuck with me all day.  The verse is Ephesians 5:8-9, and it says " 8 For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light! 9 For this light within you produces only what is good and right and true." 


For some strange reason, I have always collected, sort of stock piled really, flashlights.  Not collected like coins or stamps, I just seem to always need or think I need another flashlight.  I am quite positive that at any given time I can name at least a dozen flashlights from my collection.  Each vehicle, including my bike, my nightstand, my closet, desk, office, stored with my camping gear, my kids rooms, etc, etc, you get the idea.  I have a bunch of them.  Right now one of them sits on the counter in the kitchen, not because I'm so paranoid that I might be more than a few yards from one at any given time, although I think I really am, but because when I last tried to use it, it didn't work.  Not only that, but when I opened it up, I couldn't even get the batteries out.  It seems that they had leaked their acid out, fusing all the batteries together to the inside of the light.  What a pain!  Initially I couldn't figure out how this happened.  The batteries were brand new, I installed them correctly, and I stored the light in a safe place. What could have possibly gone wrong?  Then it occurred to me, batteries were never intended to stored in a safe, comfortable place, they were created to be used.  To provide portable power, in this case for my flashlight.  I actually did the batteries harm by never using them.  Lesson learned.


I appreciate Paul's words in these verses.  As a follower of Christ, I have a light inside me that is meant to be shared.  When it's shared it produces what is good, and right and true.  It was never intended to be stored up in a safe and comfortable place.  Unlike my flashlight, this light will never fail, fade or require fresh batteries.  I'm thankful for my friend, and growth group leader who has had me thinking about the light in my life all day long.  Also for forcing me to deal with my flashlight addiction!  


The path is bright ahead, I'll see you soon.









No comments:

Post a Comment